Monday, August 10, 2015

After ___ Days, They Rested

Well, summer camps for 2015 are over. The last game has been played, the last song has been sung, the last dramatic meltdown has occurred. And now we rest.

To be honest the last week of camp was truly a trying time. All of our month-long summer team members had left. The schedule had to be totally revamped. Our original plan to go to Rosiori to have the camp was scrapped and, instead, we put the kids on a train and brought them to us. This meant that we had to entertain the kids all day long. I was tired just thinking about it. And, to top it off, because these kids live so far away, I'm not very close with many of them.

My enthusiasm was kind of low. Just being honest.

But God will work around me and my crap-tastic attitude. The "God Echo" (or Sacred Echo as Margaret Feinberg calls it) this week was, "Are you content where you're at?" Not, "Are you happy?" Not, "Do you enjoy this?" But, "Am I enough for you? Is what I have given you enough? Where are you fixing your eyes? On earthly things or on me?"

Ugh, lessons with God. You can't lie because He already knows the answer. And you need to learn it but sometimes it's not all that fun.


So, the first day of camp was rough, the second day was worse. It was a day where you just want to throw up your hands, throw in the towel, and send everyone home. My boss, Jen, had a little heart to heart with the kids and the third day was amazing. Then, of course,  just as things were getting good, the kids were behaving, and I was starting to bond with them, they went home. Naturally.

After camp we spent some time with the kids at PeriČ™ and Voluntari which was nice because we hadn't seen them in awhile. Then my paperwork for my health insurance in the States got lost, my phone data stopped working, and I spent 3 hours trying to set up the internet at our house (which had been out for almost 2 weeks).

One day I told my roommate, Corny, that I think God just wants me to be present in the moment. To focus on what I have and what He is doing around me. To stop looking around and start looking up. I really want my eyes to be opened. I want to be content where I'm at, no matter the circumstances. No matter how the kids act. No matter if the internet is working or not. No matter if my paperwork gets lost. No matter if it's a million degrees out and we have no air conditioning. No matter if I want to sing Blessed Be the Name of the Lord one. more. time. or not. Because this isn't about me. It's totally 110% about God.

Pray for me. This may take awhile to grasp.

Making team bandanas on the first day of camp.
Soccer in the park (by the flying saucer).
A game of aquatic basketball.
More basketball.
Team building activities.
Skits around the campfire.
Making s'mores.

No comments:

Post a Comment