Friday, January 31, 2014

Gettin' Schooled

Today I started back to school...kind of. I started taking Romanian language lessons! I'm so very thankful that God provided a good teacher for me. She is obviously knowledgeable and quickly took me back to the basics. She told me that I need to "learn words." Haha! Isn't that an understatement! She told me that conjugations and tenses were easy, I would learn those, for now I just needed to work on learning words that would help me have conversations. Which makes sense. Usually you learn to speak a language before you ever learn to read or write it. Why do we always try and learn a second language by writing everything and working exercises in books? Did you do grammar worksheets when you were 4? Probably not but I bet you still knew how to speak pretty well. So, that's what I'm going to do. I'm going to learn how to speak...and how to listen. I'm not an aural learner by any means. I'm a visual person which is why I can read Romanian a bit better than I can speak it. When people ask me questions in Romanian I have to really concentrate to make sure I hear everything correctly. After listening to them long enough care, când, and câti all start to run together...

My teacher sent me home with 3 pages of homework, an encouragement ("You will learn it!"), and a promise to help whenever I needed it. I wish I could meet with her 3 times a week so I could get all this faster but I'm very grateful that I was able to find someone near me who is willing to teach me. Hopefully I will learn a lot before I see my kids again!
Getting a lesson in "from," "on," "with," and a whole bunch of other connecting words.
Just have about 40 sentences to write...should be able to knock that out real quick...
Good thing I got a head start on those notecards...

No comments:

Post a Comment